Timothy H. O'Sullivan
Head-Quarters New York Herald, Army of the Potomac, September, 1863
Gardner's Photographic Sketch Book of the Civil War, Volume II, Plate 56. 1866
Albumen print, 6 7/8 x 9 inches (15.2 x 22.8 cm.)
This photograph was made at Culpeper Court House about four miles beyond Brandy Station
on the Orange and Alexandria Rail Road, the place where General Grant first established his
Headquarters in Virginia after his appointment as Lieutenant-General. The army of the Potomac
was encamped around this location and Brandy Station during the winter of 1863-4.